Praise the Lord

Friday, March 16, 2007

Sola Fide and Freedom


I was having my quiet time on Rome 3 and I am really challenged to write about this such that I will not forget. Not as if this is the first time I know about the doctrine about Justification by Faith Alone but I guess this time I can reassure myself more with verses from God's Word Itself.

While I was reading my study bible, I saw this small passage about "Justification and Merit : Why Does God Count Me as Righteous?". What struck me is that the Roman Catholic Church teaches that God counts believers as righteous at least partly on the basis of the good works they perform after they come to faith. Some forms of Arminianism likewise insist that even those who are forgiven on the basis of Christ's atoning death may yet go to hell if they do not continue in faith and good works, in cooperation with the grace of God.

How insulting it is to God, and what kind of god who have in the first place saved his people, will turn away from them if they do not continue in faith and good works?? If that kind really exists, is he even worthy to be called God? About that ,Rome 3:3-4 says "What if some did not have faith? Will their lack of faith nullify God's faithfulness? Not at all!"

But how easy it is for me, to fall into the weakness of judging and criticizing others who are worse than me in terms of works, or behavior, or moral values. Not to say that I am very morally-inclined but really, how many times have I insult and sneer at people who do not uphold their moral values, those who disobey their parents, those who smokes, those who wear skimpy clothes to school, those who talk loudly in lecture theatre. Or even people who I should in fact respect? People like the choir assistant conductor who happened to insult Christianity. I failed to recognize the fact that I am no different from them, I am as low as them. We are all similar in God's presence, similarly sinful, for Rome 3:23 said "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" and 24 continues by "and are justified freely by his grace…". If God has shown grace to the undeserving me, shouldn't I do the same as well for them? Shouldn't I be showing my love to them as well? If I love only those who did no evil to me, what then differentiates me from this fallen world? I do not even reflect His Grace in me, how can I reflect His glory then?

1 John 5:4 : " For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world – our faith."

And along with the theology class I had with Pak Billy Kristanto, in Rome 3:31 it is written that "Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law."

I guess many who see us Christians who stop looking for earthly pleasures, will put a bit of sympathy on us. My cousin, for example, refuses to believe in any religion, such that he will be free from the religious laws. How sad it is to think of those who still hold on to the idea of freedom that this world offer. Free yourselves, be creative, think differently. The challenge of this new era is exactly that. Freedom to interpret according to our likings. Everyone has their own notions of anything, don't be bounded by any walls. Even Bible is interpreted freely, wildly. What has this world become? Satan's huge feast. Isn't it then our crosses to bear, to fight this challenge? For what reason should we be afraid? Being light in the darkness, we are there to threaten its existence.

Rome 3:20 "Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin." Another point I get from this is that obeying the law doesn't make us righteous, but it is the existence of the law that we know our sinful nature."

Oh Lord, oh wonderful savior, hold us up, so we shall not be moved, give us strength as our day.

Make me a captive, Lord, and then I shall be free.

Force me to render up my sword, and I shall conqueror be.

I sink in life's alarms when by myself I stand;

Imprison me within Thine arms, and strong shall be my hand.

No comments: