Praise the Lord

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

rejoice in suffering



Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;
perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. Romans 5:3-5

I will not deny the fact that it is very hard to rejoice in suffering. Even small, insignificant ones. There just seems to be voices or thoughts inside that kept giving excuses not to rejoice in sufferings. Firstly, it is just a norm not to do so. Normal people do not rejoice in their sufferings. And secondly, well, people that suffer think that deserve to sigh, cry and complain over their problems, no matter how serious it is. Again, in this post-modern world, the significance of the problem depends on how you see it. And lastly of course, if you rejoice in your suffering, when can you get the comfort for it from others? how do the others know you're suffering inside if you rejoice.

Those thoughts are what exactly went through my mind. Why? because I am too caught up with myself, my feelings, my this and that, in short I am too selfish. I care only to look at sufferings with respect to my own point of views. I learnt too much from this world.

How different it will be if only I try, even for a very short time, to look at the suffering not as what destroys me but what will build me. And think of Jesus, whose sufferings when compared to what I was going through would make mine look like joyous times. He didn't even complain, because He knew He was fulfilling God's plan.

Think this :
Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him. Hebrews 5:8-9

and this :
I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:11-13
Now, to think about it, shouldn't we be thankful for our sufferings?
Thankful that the Lord let us suffer, because He is a suffering God
Isn't it when we suffer, our circumstances let us understand our suffering God more.
Aren't we striving to be like Him?

Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.
1 Peter 4:12-13

Be thankful that through our sufferings, we are made stronger because we lean on Him, our source of strength. Like what Paul wrote to the Romans, suffering produces perseverance, perseverance produces character, which is the quality of being tested and approved, which then confirms our confidence that the glory we hope for will one day be ours.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:2-4

No comments: