Praise the Lord

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Righteous God?

Does the distinguishing, sovereign purpose of God not throw into jeopardy his attribute of perfect righteousness ?

Romans 9:13 :
"Just as it is written: 'Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated'."

Isaiah 10:22-23 :
"Though the number of the Israelites be like the sand by the sea, only the remnant will be saved. For the Lord will carry out his sentence on earth with speed and finality"

Sometimes we think how unfair it is for people who seem to do good deeds all their lives, but since they do not know Jesus until the end of their lifetime, they ended up not in Heaven.

Even my non-Christian friend once said, " If your God chooses who to save and who not to save, then how can He be called righteous? Isn't it unfair ? "

Well, Paul said in Romans, "Not at all!"

For God said :
"I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion"

When God shows mercy, a person does not receive a reward earned by his or her own efforts, rather, God extends sovereign, free grace to people who are morally incapable of any acceptable effort.

God owes mercy to no one, so there is no injustice when mercy is not shown.
The bestowal of mercy is a divine prerogative, it rests solely on God's good pleasure.

God is unfair? Paul thought the idea was clearly unthinkable : " Not at all! "

I remember a song I sang this afternoon, a song which suddenly pops up while I am working on my MATLAB term assignment. Something that we should always pray about and remember always.

Thank you, Lord, for saving my soul,
Thank you, Lord, for making me whole;
Thank you, Lord, for giving to me
Thy great salvation so rich and free.

No comments: