Praise the Lord

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

How Deep the Father's Love for Us


How deep the Father's love for us, how vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son to make a wretch His treasure
How great the pain of searing loss, the Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the Chosen One bring many sons to glory

Behold the man upon a cross, my sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that held Him there until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life - I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything, no gifts no power no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ, His death and resurrection
Why should I gain from His reward; I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart; His wounds have paid my ransom

Again, a very familiar hymn, very nice tune, very easy to sing, if we don't pay close attention to the words.

To really look at the words and to sing is another thing, another very difficult thing to do.
To sing and know that we, the wretch, are made treasures, children of God
To sing about the Father turning His face away from His beloved son, because of us
To sing and realize about how it was our mocking voices among the scoffers when Jesus was at the cross.
To sing about how He held on our sins until it was accomplished, He endured it, the separation from the Father He loved.
And how His death brought me life.

Yet, what kind of life are we living?

Again, we realize how unworthy we are.
Nothing to boast except in Him.

I love the last two lines :
Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart, His wounds have paid my ransom.


Father, God who gives me endurance and hope, help me endure like Jesus did, help my unbelief.

No comments: