Praise the Lord

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
and the things on earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace

I've been listening to this hymn over and over again.

We, christians, know that we should do that.
I know. You don't have to keep telling me this. I know.
But how often do we actually practise this?
Every minute every hour every day?

And when we claimed that we have done that,
do we get the same effect?
does the worldly things grow dim in a strange way?
and the only thing left is His glory and grace?

How easy it is to lose focus on God.
I'm speaking for myself here. I know, I want to, but how come I can't?
Are worldly things that overwhelming that they are then given a position above His?

I tell God : "Keep reminding me to turn my eyes upon Jesus!"
For really, I can't do this on my own.
Isaiah 44:22 says,
"I have swept away your offenses like a cloud,
your sins like the morning mist.
Return to me,
for I have redeemed you."

God is calling me to keep returning to Him whenever I lose my focus.

Matthew 6:31-32 says,
"So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. "

Why should I be overwhelmed by worldly things?

Collosians 3:1-3 says,
"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your[a] life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory."

What differentiate us, those who were already saved, and those who haven't?
a new life, raised with Christ, we aim higher, we hold on to the Promise.

How easy it becomes even for those of us who profess to be faithful followers of Christ to get caught up in the "things of earth," so that our heavenly vision and values become blurred and dull. We miss the real blessing of enjoying the personal fellowship of Christ Himself in our daily lives by being too focused on doing things for God, instead of God Himself.

"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:2


I find the below words extremely powerful,
read and meditate on it.

"I've seen the face of Jesus... He smiled in love on me;
It filled my heart with rapture, my soul with ecstasy.
The scars of deepest anguish ... were lost in glory bright;
I've seen the face of Jesus ... it was a wondrous sight!
Oh, glorious face of beauty, Oh gentle touch of care;
If here it is so blessed, what will it be up there?"
I can't wait to meet Jesus face to face!

No comments: